Racism: Recognize it. Reject it! Youth Leadership Workshops
We all want to live in welcoming and inclusive communities. Racism has no place in them. March 21, the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, is a time to remind ourselves of the harms and heroes of the past and present.
Learn about racism, its impact, and what you can do by registering for Racism: Recognize it. Reject it! Youth Leadership Workshops.
The Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan (MCoS) offers an opportunity for high school students to participate in an anti-racism leadership workshop. Students will engage with peers from throughout the province as they work together in interactive activities to explore identity, power, privilege, colonialism and its legacies, reconciliation, racism and discrimination.
Students will receive facilitation guide to replicate the activities. The workshops are offered in February and March so that schools can prepare to offer opportunities for peers or elementary students. These may take place around March 21 or at any time of year. It is important to remember the issues of social justice every day.
Elements of the workshops:
- Skill Building (e.g. trust and team-building, cooperation)
- Sense of belonging/community
- Acceptance of many diverse, creative and innovative leadership styles
- Youth voices
- Opportunities for action
- Ownership and relevance
- Shared decision-making and collaboration with others
- Responsibility and purpose
- Validation of Individuals’ experiences and ideas
2020 Arrêt/Stop Racism Youth Leadership Workshops
Dates and Locations:
- Melville: February 6, Melville Comprehensive High School, 202 10 Ave E, Melville, SK S0A 2P0
- Regina: March 5, Core Ritchie Neighbourhood Centre Gym, 445 14 Ave, Regina, SK S4N 6T5
- La Ronge: March 11, Kikinahk Friendship Centre, 320 Boardman St, Bedford Dr, La Ronge, SK S0J 1L0
- Battleford: Registration open! Training and workshop have been postponed due to Covid-19 outbreak, Venue and Date TBD
Online registration form: Youth Leadership Workshops