Arrêt/Stop Racism Youth Leadership Workshops
The Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan (MCoS) is offering an opportunity for high school students to participate in Arrêt/Stop racism (anti-racism) youth leadership workshops. Students will engage with peers from throughout the province as they participate in activities to explore identity, intercultural relationships, power, privilege, racism and discrimination. They will learn to facilitate these activities for use in the local school and community. Great prep for the International Day for the Elimination of Racism on March 21st. Lunch and facilitation guide included.
New activities for 2017:
- Experiential learning on Indigenous cultures, Canadian colonial history and legacies, including residential schools. Participants will learn about TRC Calls to Action.
- Three webinars through the Ministry of Education to provide:
- Orientation session for teachers that will prepare them for the workshop and allow them to do pre-teaching with students, so they can observe their schools and identify issues of racism, discrimination, and oppression. (end of January)
- Support for teachers and students to work on project development. (mid-March)
- Opportunity for schools to share their activities, successes, and challenges. (April or May)
2017 Arrêt/Stop Racism Youth Leadership Workshops
All workshops are FREE and from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
REGINA: February 15, 2017
South Leisure Neighbourhood Centre Gym
170 Sunset Drive, Regina, SK
PRINCE ALBERT: March 2, 2017
Margo Fournier Centre
1211 1st Ave West, Prince Albert, SK
SWIFT CURRENT: March 10, 2017
All Saints Catholic School Gym
2180 Woodrow Lloyd Place, Swift Current, SK
Note: The workshops in Saskatoon were cancelled and moved to Prince Albert to facilitate access for northern schools.