Administrative & Communications Assistant
Responsible to: Executive Director
Starting Salary: $37,500 per year
Hours: Full-time: 37.5 hours per week (9:00 am to 4:30 pm; Monday to Friday) with some need for evening and weekend availability
Start date: October 16, 2019 (or as soon as possible) to March 31, 2020
The Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan is committed to promoting, fostering, improving and developing multiculturalism in the cultural, economic, social and political life of Saskatchewan while working to achieve equality of all residents. MCoS is a non-profit charitable provincial cultural organization that provides service and support to multicultural and ethnocultural organizations across Saskatchewan. The office is located in Regina.
We are currently seeking an experienced Administrative and Communications Assistant for a temporary full-time position. If the position becomes permanent, it will include comprehensive benefits and pension plan packages.
The Administrative and Communications Assistant is responsible for interacting with and providing support to staff, volunteers and the public.
Reception: The position is responsible for ensuring the members, stakeholders and the general public are able to access MCoS services and information reliably and consistently. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Ensuring that the office is open during office hours
- Greeting visitors in a welcoming and respectful manner
- Answering phone calls, taking messages, forwarding calls
- Handling inquiries from staff, clients and other stakeholders within the capacity
- Relaying information accurately, clearly, concisely and in a courteous manner
Mail: The position is responsible for ensuring all correspondence received by or originating from MCoS is handled appropriately. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Collecting, opening, recording and routing incoming mail, faxes and materials
- Assembling, recording, stamping and labelling outgoing mail
- Sending, forwarding and replying to emails as appropriate
- Sending faxes as required
- Accurately maintaining and updating mailing and contact databases
Records Management: The position is responsible for the preparation and management of documents and records for MCoS. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Providing secretarial support to staff, members and volunteers under the direction of the Executive Assistant
- Creating and filing electronic copies of documents
- Printing, copying, filing, scanning, and distributing (mailings, meetings, etc.) documents
- Maintaining and improving office filing system (computer and paper) under the direction of the Executive Assistant
- Establishing and maintaining a data management system to support reporting and the accountability of MCoS: tracking incoming calls, e-mails, mail, visitors, etc. for statistical reports
Office: The position is responsible for the day-to-day oversight of the MCoS office. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Handling office needs such as delivery, parcel service, etc.
- Ordering and maintaining supplies as required with a consultation with EA
- Maintaining a clean and tidy entrance and office
- Maintaining office equipment while following office policies and procedure
Financial Process Support: MCoS bookkeeping and payroll are done externally. This position is responsible for the maintenance and preparation of MCoS documents related to finances and communication with bookkeepers and others. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Preparation of cheque requests
- Preparation of deposits
- Monitor and record payments, payables and receivables
- Assisting with year-end finances
Travel and Meeting Arrangements: The position is responsible for travel and meeting logistics for MCoS staff, board members and other volunteers and contractors of MCoS as required. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Arranging meeting and event facilities, registration, accommodation, etc.
- Organizing details and travel arrangements for Board, committee and general meetings
- Preparing and processing expense claims
Communications: The position is responsible for supporting the communications of MCoS to members and stakeholders. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Website and social media (expertise using WordPress, Hootsuite and other social media platforms)
- Media Scanning
- Graphic design skills and experience are an asset
- Developing and managing a system to collect community information that may be of interest to multicultural stakeholders
- Preparing and/or inputting communications updates to distribute information of interest to multicultural stakeholders through the newsletter and website
- Undertaking internet research as requested (e.g. for speeches and campaign planning)
Other duties as required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Requirements:
- Applicants for this position must have a relevant combination of a post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree along with prior experience in an administrative role, and administrative experience
- This position requires exceptional communication skills and a positive attitude
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 is essential
- Website and digital content management – WordPress, Hootsuite, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn;
- Proficiency in the use of the following office technology: computers, voice messaging systems, photocopier, mail station, etc.;
- Graphic design with knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Adobe Premiere Elements, photography, video, and desktop publishing;
- Strong organizational skills and a commitment to professionalism, including the ability to multi-task, manage timelines and multiple deadlines
- Demonstrate a proven track record of working harmoniously within teams
- Independent, energetic, analytical, self-starting and responsible worker, driven by successful, punctual and quality outcomes
- Experience in non-profit or community-based organizations an asset
- Have the ability to travel in Saskatchewan from time to time, and have a valid driver’s licence; and
- Be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends.
This position requires a criminal record check.
MCoS appreciates all responses to this competition, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We are committed to workplace diversity.
Please make any inquiries and submit cover letter and résumé electronically by 5:00 p.m. Monday, September 30, 2018, to Rhonda Rosenberg, Executive Director at email@example.com.
Download Job Description: