Administrative and Communications Assistant
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Competitive Salary
Temporary February 8 to September 1, 2016 with possibility of extension
Hours: Full-time: 37.5 hours per week (9:00 am to 4:30 pm; Monday to Friday) with some need for evening and weekend availability
The Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan is committed to promoting, fostering, improving and developing multiculturalism in the cultural, economic, social and political life of Saskatchewan while working to achieve equality of all residents. MCoS is a non-profit charitable provincial cultural organization that provides service and support to multicultural and ethnocultural organizations across Saskatchewan. The office is located in Regina.
We are currently seeking an experienced Administrative & Communications Assistant for a minimum of 6 month maternity leave position. This is a temporary full time position starting February 8, 2016 to at least September 1, 2016 with possibility of extension. if the position becomes permanent, it will include comprehensive benefits and pension plan packages.
The Administrative and Communications Assistant is responsible for interacting with and providing support to staff, volunteers and the public.
Reception: The position is responsible for ensuring the members, stakeholders and the general public are able to access MCoS services and information reliably and consistently. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Ensuring that the office is open during office hours
- Greeting visitors in a welcoming and respectful manner
- Answering phone calls, taking messages, forwarding calls
- Handling inquiries from staff, clients and other stakeholders within capacity
- Relaying information accurately, clearly, concisely and in a courteous manner
Mail: The position is responsible for ensuring all correspondence received by or originating from MCoS is handled appropriately. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Collecting, opening, recording and routing incoming mail, faxes and materials
- Assembling, recording, stamping and labeling outgoing mail
- Sending, forwarding and replying to e-mails as appropriate
- Sending faxes as required
- Accurately maintaining and updating mailing and contact databases
Records Management: The position is responsible for preparation and management of documents and records for MCoS. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Typing and editing correspondence, minutes, briefs, etc., including for weekend board meetings approximately 5 times per year
- Providing secretarial support to staff, members and volunteers under the direction of the Executive Director
- Updating manuals, policies, procedures and other documents
- Creating and filing electronic copies of documents
- Printing, copying, filing, scanning, and distributing (mailings, meetings, etc.) documents
- Maintaining and improving (with other staff) office filing system (computer and paper)
Office: The position is responsible for the day-to-day oversight of the MCoS office. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Handling office needs such as delivery, parcel service, etc.
- Ordering and maintaining supplies as required with consultation with ED
- Maintaining a clean and tidy entrance and office
- Maintaining office equipment while following office policies and procedure
- Contacting providers of equipment and service (internet, tech support, telephone…) as needed/requested
Travel and Meeting Arrangements: The position is responsible for travel and meeting logistics for MCoS staff, board members and other volunteers and contractors of MCoS as required. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Arranging meeting facilities, registration, accommodation, etc.
- Distributing agenda and supporting materials
- Organizing details and travel arrangements for Board, committee and general meetings
- Acting as recording secretary; preparing action minutes (as required)
- Preparing and processing expense claims
Information Management: The position is responsible for establishing and maintaining a data management system to support comprehensive reporting and the accountability of MCoS
- Tracking incoming calls, e-mails, mail, visitors, etc. for statistical reports
Communications: The position is responsible for supporting the communications of MCoS to members and stakeholders. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Website and social media (expertise using WordPress, Hootsuite and other social media platforms)
- Media Scanning
- Graphic design skills and experience are an asset
- Developing and managing a system to collect community information that may be of interest to multicultural stakeholders
- Preparing and/or inputting communications updates to distribute information of interest to multicultural stakeholders through the newsletter and website
- Undertaking internet research as requested (e.g. for speeches and campaign planning)
Other duties as required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Requirements:
- Applicants for this position must have a relevant post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree along with prior experience in an administrative role.
- Experience in non-profit or community-based organizations an asset;
- This position requires exceptional communication skills and a positive attitude;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office is essential and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite software is an asset;
- Proficiency in the use of the following office technology: computers, voice messaging systems, fax, photocopier, mail station, etc.;
- Strong organizational skills and a commitment to professionalism, including the ability to multi-task, manage timelines and multiple deadlines;
- Demonstrate a proven track record of working harmoniously within teams;
- Independent, energetic, analytical, self-starting and responsible worker, driven by successful, punctual and quality outcomes.
This position requires a criminal record check.
Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan provides a competitive salary. If the position becomes permanent, it will include comprehensive benefits and pension plan packages.
MCoS appreciates all responses to this competition, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We are committed to workplace diversity.
Please make any inquiries and submit cover letter and résumé electronically by 4:30 p.m. Monday, January 11, 2016 to: Rhonda Rosenberg, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.