Job Opportunity: Communications and Administration Assistant
Reports to: Both the Communications Coordinator and the Executive Assistant
Salary: $41,000 annually
Start date: March 16, 2022
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (9:00 am to 4:30 pm; Monday to Friday) with some need for evening and weekend availability
The Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan is committed to promoting, fostering, improving and developing multiculturalism in the cultural, economic, social and political life of Saskatchewan while working to achieve equality of all residents. MCoS is a non-profit charitable provincial cultural organization that provides service and support to multicultural and ethnocultural organizations across Saskatchewan. The office is located in Regina.
We are currently seeking an experienced Communications and Administration Assistant on permanent basis. It will include comprehensive benefits and pension plan packages, effective following successful 3-month probation.
The Communications and Administration Assistant is responsible for interacting with and providing support to staff, volunteers and the public. Approximately 70% of this position’s time will be spent on communications, and 30% on administration.
Under the supervision of the Communications Coordinator, the Communications and Administration Assistant is responsible for:
Communications: The position is responsible for working with the communications Coordinator to support the communications of MCoS to members and stakeholders. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Website and social media (expertise using WordPress, Hootsuite, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter)
- Google and social media analytics
- Media Scanning
- Graphic designing for social media and larger campaigns
- Preparing monthly e-newsletter using Mailchimp
- Preparing and/or inputting communications updates to distribute information of interest to multicultural stakeholders through the newsletter and website.
- Undertaking internet research as requested (e.g. for speeches and campaign planning).
- Prepare and deliver educational, publicity and informational materials (brochures, infographic, promo items etc.) to increase awareness about multiculturalism.
- Ensuring that the organization’s brand guidelines are followed in communications materials developed and shared by this position
- Developing and managing a system to collect community information that may be of interest to multicultural stakeholders
Under the supervision of the Executive Assistant, the Communications and Administration Assistant will perform the following:
Reception: The position is responsible for ensuring the members, stakeholders and the general public are able to access MCoS services and information reliably and consistently. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Ensuring that the office is open during office hours (currently the office is closed to the public and we are working remotely due to COVID)
- Greeting visitors in a welcoming and respectful manner
- Answering phone calls, taking messages, forwarding calls
- Handling inquiries from staff, clients and other stakeholders within capacity
- Relaying information accurately, clearly, concisely and in a courteous manner
Financial Process Support: MCoS bookkeeping and payroll are done externally. Under the direction of the Executive Assistant, this position is responsible for maintenance and preparation of MCoS documents related to finances and communication with bookkeepers and others. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Preparation of cheque requests
- Preparation of deposits
- Monitor and record payments, payables and receivables
- Assisting with year-end finances
Records Management: The position is responsible for preparation and management of documents and records for MCoS. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Providing secretarial support to staff, members and volunteers under the direction of the Executive Assistant
- Creating and filing electronic copies of documents
- Printing, copying, filing, scanning, and distributing (mailings, meetings, etc.) documents
- Maintaining and improving office filing system (computer and paper) under the direction of the Executive Assistant
- Establishing and maintaining a data management system to support reporting and the accountability of MCoS: tracking incoming calls, e-mails, mail, visitors, etc. for statistical reports
Mail: The position is responsible for ensuring all correspondence received by or originating from MCoS is handled appropriately. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Collecting, opening, recording and routing incoming mail, faxes and materials
- Assembling, recording, stamping and labeling outgoing mail
- Sending, forwarding and replying to emails as appropriate
- Accurately maintaining and updating mailing and contact databases
Office: The position is responsible for the day-to-day oversight of the MCoS office. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Handling office needs such as delivery, parcel service, etc.
- Ordering and maintaining supplies as required with consultation with EA
- Maintaining a clean and tidy entrance and office
- Maintaining office equipment while following office policies and procedure
Travel and Meeting Arrangements: The position is responsible for travel and meeting logistics for MCoS staff, board members and other volunteers and contractors of MCoS as required. Tasks associated with this responsibility include:
- Arranging meeting and event facilities, registration, accommodation, etc.
- Organizing details and travel arrangements for Board, committee and general meetings
- Preparing and processing expense claims
Other duties as required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Requirements:
- Applicants for this position must have relevant post-secondary education and/or work experience in both communications and administration.
- This position requires exceptional communication skills and a positive attitude
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, with a strong emphasis on Excel Microsoft Office Suite is essential. Experience with SharePoint is an asset.
- Website and digital content management: WordPress, Hootsuite, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Mailchimp, Dropbox;
- Graphic design with knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Adobe Premiere Elements, and desktop publishing with at least an intermediate level of proficiency;
- Filming and video editing skills with at least an independent level of proficiency;
Photography skills and editing;
- Proficiency in the use of the following office technology: computers, voice messaging systems, photocopier, mail station, etc.;
- Strong organizational skills and a commitment to professionalism, including the ability to multi-task, manage timelines and multiple deadlines;
- Demonstrate a proven track record of working harmoniously within teams;
- Independent, energetic, analytical, self-starting and responsible worker, driven by successful, punctual and quality outcomes;
- Experience in non-profit or community-based organizations is an asset;
- Strong connections to Indigenous and/or multicultural communities are an asset
- Have the ability to travel in Saskatchewan from time to time, a valid driver’s license is an asset;
- Be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends.
This position requires a criminal record check.
We would like to have the Communications and Administration candidate start by March 16, 2022.
Application deadline: Monday, February 14, 2022 by 5:00 p.m.
The interview will include an experiential assignment to demonstrate your skills.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter and résumé clearly outlining how you meet the education or experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and requirements for this position.
- Portfolio demonstrating your work.
- Three references who can tell us more about you at work (ensure they are ready and available to be contacted by email).
To apply, please email your cover letter, résumé, portfolio, and references with the subject line: Communications and Administration Assistant, cover letter along with three (3) references to:
Rhonda Rosenberg, Executive Director
Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan
MCoS appreciates all responses from candidates currently legally entitled to work in Canada to this opportunity, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We are committed to workplace diversity; candidates are welcome to self-identify as belonging to equity-seeking groups.
Download Job Description
MCoS Communications and Administration Assistant Job Description 2022 (pdf)